Sunday, April 15, 2007

Recent Happenings at the White House

Well, it's been far too long since the last time I have posted. Things here have been pretty busy, but are finally calming down. Here's a few things we have been doing:

Katie (Brig's sister) came to visit us the end of February. We had such a great time having her here. It was fun to get to show off this crazy place that we live in called Miami. We wet on a walk along the marina down the street from us and saw all the HUGE yachts. We walked along the beach. We went down to Key Largo one day. Kate watched Jane while Brig and I went snorkeling for our anniversary. There were tons of baracuda, parrot fish, angel fish, etc. We had a great time. We also spent a day in the Everglades. It was our first time there and we couldn't believe how close you can get to the alligators. Some of them were right next to the path that you walk down! Kate and I went shopping on Lincoln road, and saw all the interesting people that hang out there on the weekend. We were so sad to see her go!







For my birthday in March Brig and I went out to a retaurant on Lincoln where we had some fondue and listened to some great live jazz.

My family came the second week in March during their spring break. We had 10 people sleeping in our little apartment. It was WILD! My biggest worry with having them come, is that there are so many topless girls around South Beach during spring break season, but luckily we didn't have any problems while they were here. We went to the beach in the morning while everyone was still sleeping off their hangovers from the night before. (Did I ever mention how wild South Beach can get sometimes???) We went deep sea fishing one day, but my 6 year old sister Tenna was the only person from our family that caught anything. It was a little 6 inch Trigger fish. We did see someone catch an eel, and we also saw dolphins right by the boat! We went to the Everglades one day too. While we were there we went on an airoat ride through the swamps, and afterwards we all got to hold an alligator! On Sunday, while my family was here, I got called to be the Young Women's President in our ward. It was a pretty overwhelming call, and I was so grateful to have my mom here to support me. She and Melanie came with me to Young Women's for the first time. Later that night, Brig organized an awesome home teaching/missionary split with Brig, my dad, Carl, Dallin and two sets of Elders from our ward. They all split up and went to all 25 of Brig's Home Teaching Famillies. That found out that a lot of them didn't live there anymore and hadn't for years! Brig is a counselor in the Elder's Quorum Presidency and is starting a Home Teaching Revolution in our ward. There are so many inactive people in our ward that it gets very overwhelming. The missionaries and Brig have been trying to cut down the home teaching lists by finding out if people even live there anymore. The missionaries found an inactive woman this last week that hasn't had any one visit her for 17 years! There is so much work to be down in this ward!

Two weeks ago was our ward's Girl's Camp. I have always loved Girl's Camp, and have looked forward to someday being able to go to Girl's Camp as a leader. Man, it is a lot of work. I never realized how much planning goes into it. It was hard to jump into Young Women's right before Camp, but we got it all pulled together. I had so much fun getting to know the girls better. Here are a few pictures of the girls. Check out those braids! When I did my hair in braids at camp they did not look that good!




Brig has been doing AWESOME in school! I am so proud of him! At the end of the quarter they all submitted the work that they've done, and then they have people outside of the school come in and judge the work. They pick a couple of the very best pieces and award them "Gold's". Brig had one of his pieces chosen! This last week they had a speaker from a large agecny in Ft. Lauderdale come and issue a challenge to the school to see who could come up with the best campaign for Crocs (you know those rubber-like shoes with the holes in them!). The winners would get their idea pitched to the client and also a $2,000 scholarship! So all week everyone in the whole school worked really hard to come up with a campaign, and guess who won....YUP!! Brig and his two partners won!!

Jane is just getting cuter every day I swear! This last month her two bottom teeth started to grow in, she has mastered crawling, and is on the verge of walking! Her big news is that I took her to a casting this week where hundreds of mom brought their kids to see if they would get picked for a photo shoot with this UK department store called Tesco. I didn't think much of it, and then the next day Jane's agent called and said she was the only one from the agency that got picked for the photo shoot. We are going to go to Carndon Beach on Key Biscayne tomorrow for the shoot! A few of the moms in my ward have their kids model because there are SO many agencies here. There are lots of great opportunities. I had never thought of doing it, but when they recommended Jane to do it I thought I would give it a try. We'll see if she enjoys it. Here are a few pictures of Jane and her first time eating spagheti!




Here are a few more pictures from the last little while:

7 comments:

Jordan and Katie said...

Barb - I am soo happy that you found our blog and that you have a blog. Your little girl is ADORABLE!!! I remember hearing that you had a baby and I can't believe how old she is already. I didn't know that you were in Florida, how fun! I think that it is great to live somewhere really different for a few years. We are having a great time in Baltimore. How long are you going to be in Miami? I'm excited to keep in touch. I love your blog, it is too cute!
-Katie Ash

Steph said...

Barbara! It’s Stephanie Cook- now Whiting! How are you? I found your blog as I was browsing! You look great! Your little girl is so cute! It looks you guys are having fun in Florida! I hope you are doing well. Have a good day! Steph
http://www.jswhiting.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Hey barb,

sounds like you guys are doing great down there! I'm so glad you've adjusted well. We've missed you at some get togethers here! Jane is adoreable! Take care!
-ashley

Ashley said...

I forgot to give you our blog site...

http://theshupefamily.blogspot.com

Liz said...

barb- i found your blog through jenae's and had fun catching up. i had no idea you had a baby and she's even so old now! looks like life is treating you well.

liz christensen evans
lizandtravis.blogspot.com

Janelle said...

hey barb!
i found your blog's link via jenae's blog. i loved catching up on everything you've been up to lately! jane is adorable and has grown up so much since i saw her as a newborn! hope you have a great summer--you have a good-looking family.
love,
janelle (kisby) willis
keithandjanellewillis.blogspot.com

Amy Buff said...

Hey, this is random, but I'm reading up on things, and I vote that you put some of Brig's stuff up on the blog. I'm so proud of my cousin and his amazing skills. Love it!